28 February 2011

Food, Glorious Food!


Mexicans seem to eat almost non-stop.  There are restaurants, cafeterias, luncherias, cafes, tables and stalls in the mercado to buy meals and snacks, and street vendors.  The street vendors sell everything from cotton candy to snacks to drinks to tiny pancakes to ice cream to entire meals.  One day, Ken's friend came over to study.  Afterwards, he insisted we get ice cream.  That was fine with me....I can go for an ice cream cone any time.  But shortly after that, he saw a street vendor and had a little "snack".  And I swear it wasn't much longer before he suggested tacos.  He led us to a sit-down restaurant and introduced me to a wonderful new food: chicharones queso....fried cheese!  After our delicious tacos al pastor (which include pieces of fresh pineapple) we shared an amazing piece of chocolate cake with cafe de olla...a traditional Mexican sweet coffee.

Since I arrived at the end of January, Ken and I have had dinner at two "nice" restaurants. One is our old favorite, "Cafe Tacuba", in the Centro Historico.  The food and service are always excellent, but the real reason I love Tacuba is that mariachis play there most evenings. We also went to a new branch of "Azul y Oro" (blue and gold) in the trendy Condessa neighborhood.  Many people believe that all Mexican cuisine is spicy and hot.  At "Azul y Oro" I had a delicious pear and blue cheese salad, perfectly cooked steak with mashed potatoes, and tiramisu.  Had I wanted a "picante" Mexican dish, there were plenty available.  The variety on the menu was amazing.

You always can tell when you are nearing a subway station on the street because the amount and variety of food stands become staggering.  Mexicans can't seem to get on or off a subway without some sustenance.  If there is an empty square on the sidewalk, someone will find a way to sell food.




So, why aren't all the people in Mexico City huge?  I have read that Mexico is second only to the U.S. in obesity. However, I believe this may be due to the introduction of McDonald's, Burger King,  Domino's, Starbucks, Pizza Hut, Krispy Kremes,  and Kentucky Fried.... with their foods that are filled with fat and sugar.   Here in Mexico, the food sold on the streets is generally made right in front of you, and made to order.  You can have your snack covered with  fresh avocado and chopped onions, tomatoes, lettuce, beans, or cilantro.  And, of course, most Mexicans walk far more than Americans do. They don't just hop in the car to run errands, they walk to the farmacia, the mercado, or  the pesero (little bus) stop or metro stop.  They love to stroll in the parks, and spend Sundays in the town squares, dancing or walking with their friends.

Those strolls often end at the bakery.  Seeing  independent bakeries again has been one of the most wonderful parts of living here.  When I was growing up, there were bakeries galore.  Then, as places like Dunkin' Donuts, Panera, Pricechopper, and other chains began to bake cookies and bread, the independent bakeries that had once been in every town couldn't compete.  Here, the bakery is crowded all the time.  You enter and take a big silver tray and a pair of tongs.  Then, you browse through cookies, cake squares, cheesecake, flan, fruited jello, rolls, bread, pastries, chocolates, brownies and so much more.  I love to sit in the park  among the happy families in our neighborhood on Sunday afternoon or evening and I love to make our last stop the bakery.  I choose a couple of wonderful cookies or a "concha" (a sweet breakfast roll topped with a crumb mixture in a shell design) to take home.   I am also  very thankful that I have to walk everywhere.  


When we first began to travel to Mexico City several years ago, we immediately discovered "Sanborn's".  This chain has been in Mexico for years and years and is currently owned by one of the richest men in the world, Carlos Slim.  Each Sanborn's is the same, from the menu to the traditional costumes the waitresses wear.  
The very first morning I was here, Ken and I had breakfast at our local Sanborn's.  We went to Sanborn's for our Valentine's Day dinner.  I am addicted to their frozen lemon pie topped with meringue.  To me, sitting down for a meal at any Sanborn's brings a feeling of contentment and happiness.  They aren't fancy; the food certainly isn't gourmet, but being among happy people in a familiar setting makes me feel at home here.  And that is one of the most wonderful feelings I have ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment