06 April 2011

This blog is getting in the way of fun!

I want to play rope with Jo Anne but all she wants to do is "blog". I guess that mean sitting and tapping on her computer. We just got back from our after supper walk. We went very far tonight because Jo anne wanted to see the donkeys. We only saw one man, riding his donkey very fast. He was probably going home to have his supper so he could walk his dog. I saw all my regular dog friends. Why am I the only one on a leash? I feel so stupid sometimes. Jo Anne says she is very tired because the noise here at night is worse than anyplace in the world. I sleep right through it until she wakes up and turns on the lights! I sleep next to her so she feels more calm when the noise wakes her.

Yesterday, she came back from Guanajuato all excited because she met two new friends. They went to the "Mummy Museum" together. Sounds boring to me...dead people who still have some clothes and hair. No dogs.

Today she came back with a lot of bags that said "Mega", which means "food" in Spanish, I think. I know she has a roast chicken somewhere...wish I could find it. She gave me something called "dog biscuits", which I have never had before. I wish I could describe them to you. They are crunchy and make my mouth very happy.

Tonight on our walk, a lot of boys I know were petting me and talking to Jo Anne in Spanish and she was trying very hard, but not getting the words right. The boys were nice, though, and didn't laugh until we walked away. People in Mexico have good manners. Jo Anne has made friends already in the little town that is up above us, called "Cerro de Quarto". It is not like Guanajuato at all! It has no pretty buildings, no churches, restaurants, museums, or flowers. It has a lot of little grocery stores where Jo Anne likes to buy her "aqua fria". Tonight, a man was selling fresh baked goods and she bought some of those, too.

Cerro de Quarto is on the top of the entire world. Across a valley, you can see a big building of stone. Jo Anne asked somebody what it was, because it is a ruin. A man told her it used to be one of the silver mines here. The silver mines are what made Guanajuato so rich and the buildings so beautiful. But now the mines are all closed, so Cerro de Quarto will never be beautiful. Jo Anne and I don't care. We like it up there better than down in Guanajuato. We like the children, who always want to pet me. We like the men on donkeys. We like the old ladies, who balance baskets on their heads. Everybody works hard in Cerro de Quarto. But that is how it is all over Mexico, Jo Anne says. I am glad. I like living in a country where people are friendly, work hard, and like to pet dogs!

1 comment: