05 April 2011

My new friend, Jo Anne

Hello! My name is Folly, and I am almost one. Everyone says "hi girl!", so I guess I am a girl. They also say "good girl, pretty girl, and good dog." I live high on a hill overlooking Guanajuato. I am used to it, but when people climb up the hill, like my new friend Jo Anne, they are sweating and breathing hard. Not me! I am used to it. My mom and dad took their clothes and left. Jo Anne brought her clothes and is staying in my house. Hmmm...I have four floors here...the top is a yoga studio with a bed and bathtub and deck. Below that is a big kitchen, a living room and dining room table and my big deck where I can sit and see the whole city. Below that is the bedroom and a big bathroom, with all pretty blue and white tile and my fountain that I drink from. Below that is dad's office room and another kitchen.

Jo Anne is out of breath a lot. But she knows I love my walks, so we go on two a day, one in the morning before it gets too hot, and one in the evening, when it is a little cooler. Jo Anne walks me UP 64 steps to get to a flat place to walk. If you think 64 sounds bad, you should see how many steps it would take to come from the city to my house! Straight up! Higher than I can count.

Some of the reasons I like Jo Anne are: she gives me belly rubs and ear scratches; she brought me a little toy and plays with me; she likes me to sleep with her in bed; she gives me charcoal grilled chicken and tonight she is giving me grilled pork!

My mom and dad explained Guanajuato to her and she leaves me every day, for four hours, to go there. So far, she has gone to the Basilica, the big garden, the beautiful theatre, the mercado (where she bought a very corny shirt that says "Guanajuato, Mexico" on the front...as if she didn't look enough like a tourist....), and today she went to the Mummy Museum. She told me she met two nice women near a church, took their picture, and they became friends. That is how it is in Mexico, as I have tried to show her. She and the two friends went in the mummy museum together, which is good because these mummies are scary! The dirt or air here preserved them perfectly...even their clothes and hair and eyelashes.

Last night, Jo Anne tried to make ear plugs from toilet paper and put her underpants around her head because she thought it was noisy. Well, there is a lot of music here, plus lots of the dogs like to bark to each other at night, plus the roosters crow, the donkeys bray, and people talk.

Right now, I am lying at her feet, showing her that I would like either a belly rub or my supper...well, actually BOTH. I do not like the computer. It makes people forget about me. But I just made a little noise, saying "let's have supper!" So we will!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Folly, this is your dingbat parents who went off to the Galapagos Islands without their computers and forgot to make a note of Jo Anne´s email address on paper before leaving. When you finish your grilled pork, please tell Jo Anne (one of your little sighs might work) that if she writes us we´ll be able to write back. Meantime, we love you very much and keep on looking after Jo Anne just like we told you. XXXX Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete