24 July 2011

Veinte cinco cosas no necesito




(This is my first attempt at a post in Spanish. You will notice it is in the present tense! This trip to the Merced Market actually took place last Saturday. This weekend, we went to Polanco, Roma, to our friends' home to meet their new baby, and to Santiago Zapotitlan for an amazing festival. Check soon for posts about these adventures! English translation follows.)


La ciudad de Mexico tiene muchos mercados. Todos tienen las mismas cosas: frutas, verduras, carne, pollo, pescado, pinatas, dulces, ropa, bolsas, zapatos, mole, tortillas, pan, estatuas de Jesus, Nuestra Madre, y La Flaca (Santa Muerta), abarrotes, jugetes, fregones, etc. Tambien, mercados tienen muchos pequenos restaurantes que serven quesidillas, tostadas, y otros antojitos. Sin embargo, un mercado es el mas grande en las ciudad...en las pais. Quiza el mundo! El Mercado de la Merced.

La Merced es tanto grande que la tiene un metro estacion! A La Merced, pensado comprar unas o dos cosas....pero....el espiritu de la Merced esta mas fuerte! Cerca de la Merced estan calles con tiendas y mas tiendas.

Necesito nada, pero...que debo comprar! Quiero comprar...necesito comprar...deseo comprar! Yo compro veinte cinco cosas NO NECESITO!! Ken me ayuda.

Tenemos ahora a nuestra casa:

1. Datils gigantes

2. Pasas

3. Arandanos Secos

4-6. Tres tipos differentes de dulces

7. Zanahorias

8. Brocoli

9. Puerros

10. Quiero una caja de carton porque me gusta el diseno. El diseno hay rojo y verde ilustraciones y palabras en Espanol. La caja cuesta tres pesos, la misma a una tarjeta de Metro. Yo compro.

11. Necesito botas por la lluvia. Esta es la estacion de la lluvia en la cuidad de Mexico. Busco botas en una tienda antiqua. Las botas son negras y rosas. Me gustan mucho! Yo compro.

12 - 15. Compramos cuarto cestas.

16 - 18. Compramos tres cosas por la cocina.

19. Compramos una jarra plastica.

20. Compro un panuelo.

21. Compro una mochila marino azul con deseno "Pumas". "Pumas" es la mascota de mi universidad, UNAM.

22 - 23. Compramos dos CD's de musica Mexicana sobre de metro.

24 - 25. Compramos dos DVD's en la calle...."Biutiful" con Javiar Bardem y un con Adam Sandler y Jennifer Aniston.

Quanto cuestan? Unos 700 pesos! En los estados unidos botas cuestan mas de 700 pesos! Y un panuelo, lo mismo.

Un dia de diversion, aventure y memorias....no esta caro en la ciudad de Mexico!

Twenty five things I don't need

Mexico City has many markets. All have the same things: fruit, vegetables, meat, chicken, fish, pinatas, candy, clothes, bags, shoes, mole (sauce), tortillas, bread, statues of Jesus, Our Lady of Guadalupe, and "The Skinny One" (Saint Death), groceries, toy, mops, etc. Also, markets have many little restaurants that serve quesadillas, tostadas, and other snacks. However, one markets is the biggest in the city...the country. Maybe the world. Merced Market.

The Merced is so big that it has a subway station! At the Merced, I think I will buy one or two things....but, the spirit of the Merced is very strong! Around the Merced are streets with store after store.

I don't need anything, but I must buy....I want to buy...I need to buy...I desire buying! I buy twenty-five things I don't need. Ken helps me.

dates, raisins, dried cranberries, three kinds of candy, carrots, broccoli, leeks.

I want a cardboard box because I like the design. The design has red and green pictures and words in Spanish. The box costs three pesos, the same as a subway ticket. I buy it.

I need boots for the rain. This is rainy season in Mexico City. I look for boots in an old store. The boots are black and pink. I like them a lot! I buy them.

We buy four baskets and three kitchen things. We buy a plastic pitcher. I buy a scarf. I buy a navy blue backpack with a "Pumas" design. "Pumas" is the mascot of my university, UNAM.

We buy two Mexican music CD's on the subway. We buy two DVD's on the street: "Biutiful" with Javiar Bardem, and one with
Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston.

What does this cost? Around 700 pesos ($60). In the U.S. boots cost more than $60. And the scarf, too.

A day of fun, adventure, and memories isn't expensive in Mexico City!

1 comment:

  1. So much fun to read and shop along with you. I love the translation back into English. You're thinking in Spanish!

    ReplyDelete