07 July 2011

Yes, Virginia, there IS a Rainy Season...


I returned to Mexico at the tail end of June. Although I have visited Mexico at the end of the rainy season, I have not been here at the height of the rain. Well, I am now and I am here to say that it is not fun. Not one bit. Now, this could also be because my prior life here, from January to April, consisted of getting up whenever I felt like it...drinking a few cups of coffee at home...either heading to dance class with my pals or deciding on a wonderful restaurant where I could enjoy a leisurely and tasty breakfast...then...maybe a museum? A walk in a wonderful neighborhood? Buying some gifts for the folks at home (or just for me)?

Ah! Those were the days. However, nothing remains the same. On the second day back, Ken and I went to the enormous University of Mexico, aka "UNAM" to register for Spanish classes. Turns out that the only time they are offered are from 9 a.m. until noon. EVERY SINGLE WEEKDAY!! Ken is doing an internship so he will have to learn Spanish another way. But I had no excuse.

The next morning, as I trudged up an area street, contemplating breakfast and thinking..."I won't be able to have breakfast out next week...", I thought I saw a familiar face. And then another...and another. Was it possible? In this city of over 20 million people was I on the exact street at the exact time as my dancing friends? I was!! Through sheer luck, the restaurant my friends had chosen was closed, so they were gathered on the street trying to decide where to go when I came along. I quickly walked home to change, because you don't go out with the dancing girls looking like a slob. I had brought some Krause's candy for them, and I picked that up, too. It was just wonderful to see them. I think the highlight of the day for Martita and Marite came when I confessed to them that "yo tengo mierda" about going to Spanish class. They both laughed and laughed, which seemed less than sympathetic to me...then they explained that instead of saying "I'm afraid", I had said "I'm sh**". Well, it is clear to me that I desperatly need to learn Spanish!

Sunday was my last day of freedom. I felt just like I used to when we had to go "back to school" every year in September. I was melancholy and nervous and sort of physically sick. So, Ken and I decided to go to the movies. He has been regularly going to see all kinds of good films at "Cineteca Nacional", which is an indie-art type place. He always walks there. We made sure to wear sneakers, raincoats, baseball caps, and have umbrellas. It was fairly late in the afternoon and we knew rain was coming, as it rains every single day during rainy season. However, the rain we had experienced so far was bearable. It wasn't until we were on the sidewalk of a huge six-lane highway with tons of traffic that the storm truly hit. We were completely drenched in minutes. My umbrella was useless. Ken's windbreaker was like a wet kleenex. The water just rose and rose. It was freezing, too. Lightening was striking all around us. Thunder was booming. Then, the hail began. Cars and buses were trying not to splash us, but often it was unavoidable due to heavy traffic. We just kept going, heads down, feet covered in water, often as high as our ankles. It felt as if we were on that road for hours. But, miraculously, we arrived at the theatre without being struck by lightening. We got in line, and took out our student I.D. cards.
"Seblabhedeconstutuelallapeclicuradelacinematovis" the woman at the ticket book said. Or something like that. Ken finally understood. We were too late. The movie was sold out. We had made our heroic and dangerous trip for nothing. Things just got worse after that. We got in and out of cabs at random. We tried to get food at the nearby mall's food court and three restaurants but the food was either unappealing or the lines waiting to get in were way too long...so we came home. Our microwave was broken so Ken heated left-over pizza at our landlady's house. This was it...my last night of freedom. I was eating old, tough pizza and realizing that my brand new sneakers might be wrecked forever. I was realizing that I had brought all the wrong clothes and left the right ones home. I was realizing that, from now on, I would have to wake up in the dark and cook my own breakfast. I was realizing that I would have to lug a backpack, books, an umbrella, a hat, and a raincoat every single morning. I was realizing that those bright, cobalt blue skies I loved so much in the winter were now covered by fog, clouds, mist, and rain.

Is there anything good about rainy season? I suppose so. The plants are all growing like mad. It goes without saying that rainy season provides water that is essential to life in Mexico. I have noticed that the dog poop washes away quickly. But I miss the sun...and when it does come out, the mugginess makes me feel all sweaty and dirty. No matter what clothes I wear I am either too hot or too cold, but mostly just too wet.

This season will last for months. I just hope I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment