27 March 2011

Beautiful Coyoacan on Sunday


This was my last Sunday evening in Coyoacan for a while...actually until July. I will be spending the next two Sundays in Guanajuato, which I hear is gorgeous. And then I will be heading home for about two and a half months. When I return to Coyoacan it will be the rainy season. I anticipate, however, that people will still stroll in the squares.

Today we had breakfast at a little restaurant and as soon as the family as the next table hears us speaking English, the kids joined in. Turns out the family had traveled with a circus in the U.S. for a few years. The children loved asking us questions in beautiful English. I am so humbled by the many bi-lingual children around here!

We stopped at the bakery on the way home after tonight's stroll...and spoke with the guard, who is so friendly and kind to us. Then we chatted with our neighbor who has a little poodle with bad legs...and a sweet disposition.

We saw dogs wearing dresses...babies completely covered up, as all babies are here in Mexico, kids playing with balloons and pinwheels, people going into mass, eating ice cream, dancing to son music, shopping for handmade things on the streets...all the little things that make our borrowed neighborhood so special to us.

I never loved Sunday until we came to Mexico...and now, I will always love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment