23 March 2011

Breakfast of Champions

I love breakfast in Mexico!  To begin with, I decided right from the start of my stay here, that I would always eat breakfast out.  This is an amazing gift to myself.  I find myself looking forward to getting up, enjoying a meal at one of my favorite spots or finding a new one.

So here are some of my favorites, in no particular order....

Sanborns


I love breakfast at Sanborn's, mostly because it was the first place I ever had breakfast in Mexico City.  When I get into a cab at the airport when I arrive, I only feel I am in Mexico when I see my first Sanborn's. I have written about this place before, so you already know my deep Sanborns-y feelings. I like that there are little plates of butter cookies on the tables.  I like the fruit, yogurt, honey and granola. I like the concha sweet rolls.  I like that I can buy a newspaper in English to read while I have my breakfast.  Nothing exciting here, but very comforting.

Meli Melo


Meli Melo is located within the arts center where I take latin dancing.  I love this spot because I love the woman who waits on me.  She is warm, friendly, funny, and always remembers exactly what I want:  scrambled eggs, pineapple, a basket of bread with jam, and coffee.  Simple, fast, delicious.   And, after that hour and a half dance class?  So satisfying!  Meli Melo is a beautiful place with a wonderful staff.

Moheli


Moheli is on the corner across from the big park here in Coyoacan.  I like the fact that if you order the "paquete" you get juice and fruit and a sweet roll and coffee with your main course.  I like that there are the same people at the same tables whenever I come here.  I think of them as intellectuals, for no reason other than that they are reading the newspaper.  In Spanish!  Good food and service.

The Green Corner


This is a chain of organic markets with cafes annexed.  Ken and I first ate at the one in Condesa on a Sunday.  I chose the wrong entree, because he got pancakes which were extremely good.  So, I started going to the one in our own neighborhood.  It is on a very busy, ugly street, so I eat inside.  The first time I tasted the pancakes I loved them far more than the ones in Condesa.  Perhaps it was because they came with a homemade, organic jam...one day banana, one day berry....these are the kind of pancakes that you could eat every single morning.  Well,  I certainly could.

SAKS


 I did an entire blog about SAKS....but I just visited another restaurant in this chain and the food was just as good.  No one makes a better fruit plate.

Cafe Tacuba


People say that anyone who comes to Mexico City MUST visit this restaurant.  I agree!  Usually we go for dinner, because they have mariachis play.  The atmosphere, even without the mariachis, would be joyful.  At breakfast, the beautiful rooms are filled with businesspeople making decisions over delicious pastries and some of the best hot chocolate in the world.


The Four Seasons Hotel


I love to go to luxury hotels for breakfast.  It is the one meal that can be affordable, right?  On my way to the Museo de Arte Moderne I stopped for breakfast at the Four Seasons on Reforma.  I had coconut meusli, toast, butter and assorted jams.  I eat a lot of toast here because I love bread and got so sick of everyone in the U.S. acting like bread was poison.  Also, the bread in Mexico is like bread used to be in the U.S. when I was a kid, before we started adding fiber to everything.

Maybe I love breakfast here so much because there are no calorie counts on the menus.  Maybe it's because they always give you real butter, not some horrible substitute.  Maybe it's because the people around me are eating with obvious enjoyment.  Maybe it's because restaurants serve breakfast until one o'clock in the afternoon.  All I know is that when your day starts with papaya and mango it is a good, good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment